Tuesday, August 23, 2011

God! It's me, The Mom.....

  I know you gave me kids for a purpose but there’s some days I wonder why?
If you have kids, girls or boys, you know what I’m talking about. But boys, whew! They are tough. Trust me, I know. I have FOUR! Our oldest is 15. He’s mine from a previous relationship. Our other three, 14 and twin 11 year olds are from my husband’s first marriage.
I LOVE being a mom! But to look at me some days, you would think I HATED it. Most days, it seems, I’m a big bundle of stress and stain. I’m griping and fussing about everything from socks in the floor, to pee on the seat, to “don’t look at me in that tone of voice”. I’ve been called too strict, overboard, and even self-dubbed myself “Hitler Mom”. But these aren’t things I’m proud of.
Today, I start a new journey. Being the kind of mom that God wants me to be is my goal. There’s so many goals that lie ahead. So many challenges to face and habits to implement. But I want it to all be according to God’s plan for our family.
So, here are my goals to start:
1)   Be the best me I can be.
  • Deuteronomy 6: 5-6  5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts.
2)  Be the best wife I can be:
  • I know many of us have problems with the whole “SUBMIT TO YOUR HUSBAND” thing but before you get all bent out of shape remember this scripture. It’s a two-way street stated in the 1st verse and broken down as you read further, so don’t stop. If it makes you feel better, you can see that our husband should mutually submit to us too. We just have different roles.
  • 21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. (see, it’s right there)
    22 Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. (If we so easily submit ourselves to Christ, why is it so hard to submit to the man that God has appointed to head our household?)
    And now for his role… just to make us feel like the playing field is even
    25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
3)  Teach my children by example
  • Deuteronomy 6: 7-9  7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
  • Children, like most of us, learn by watching. How often do you feel your kids are hearing the Peanuts Mom? Wha-wha-wha-wha! Yeah, I remember my mom talking like that. I could find a speck on the wall and stare all while she talked and talked about the terrible thing I’d done and how I should feel so terrible about it. I must be very careful about what I do and say because my kids are always watching and they usually hear EVERYTHING I don’t want them to.
  • Discipline with GRACE. Proverbs 19:18 Discipline your children, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to their death. Colossians 3:21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged. Ephesians 6:4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
I have a lot of work ahead. But aren’t we all works in progress? I many not have done everything right up to this point, but I can sure try from this moment on…..

God! Do you hear me? HELP!!!!!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment